Jim Lee Cyclops

Greetings, dear reader!  This post is the thirteenth in a series about my process regarding my X-Men Tarot.  Today we take a look at all of the cards featuring Cyclops!

The X-Men playing card deck is adorned with images of Marvel’s Merry Mutants.  I have created a system combining traditional Minor Arcana meaning with my vast knowledge of X-Men comic book stories.  The archetypal roles the X-Men represent bring the energy of the missing Major Arcana to the overall calculation.  I reveal the superheroic tales relevant to your path.   This dual reading is amplified by the elemental nature of whatever suit is pulled in addition to the numeralogical/feudal court energy contained therein.

One of the interesting aspects of the X-Men cards that I use is that every character gets to be represented four times.  For example, Wolverine is all of the Jacks, Jubilee is all of the Twos, Iceman is all of the Threes, etcetera.  Cyclops is represented on the face of all of the Kings.  If we think about how Kings represent mastery, wisdom and control then it makes a lot of sense for Scott Summers, known for his battle ready skill and tactics, to be featured on them.  Kings are leaders who understand the process and power of manifestation.  With a nurturing Queen by their side, they are a force with which to be reckoned.

Note:  I will be referring to each card by their traditional tarot names, although I will provide the equivalent playing card terms under each image.

Above artwork by Jim Lee.

Cyclops - King of Clubs

Cyclops as the Ace of Clubs/Wands/Rods

As the first X-Man, Cyclops was the first to embrace, and eventually embody, Professor X’s dream of mutants and humans coexisting in harmony.  Professor Xavier gave Scott the responsibility of leadership–to the original five team members, and then later to the All-New, All-Different team.  Scott was inspired by Professor X to rise above his insecurities and threw himself into the role of leader with panache.  His forceful, yet inspiring, guidance served the X-Men well over the years and has established Cyclops as the preeminent authority of mutant affairs in the Marvel Universe.  Like the King of Wands, Cyclops is a fiery visionary.  His nature is bold and intrepid, and he takes risks when he feels they are necessary.  He confronts problems head on, unconcerned with what others think.  He stands tall under the strength of his own convictions.  He will inspire you to own your natural abilities with mastery and courage.

Artwork by Jim Lee.

Cyclops - King of Spades

Cyclops as the Ace of Spades/Swords

The King of Swords is an intellectual, at ease in the role of teacher.  This is Cyclops at ease in the role of arbitrator, using his knowledge and skills to serve all.  Mental stimulation is his lifeblood and his analytical mind is always at work, articulating thoughts and ideas.  He never stops incorporating information into his skill sets.  He is ethically grounded, knowledgeable, impartial and objective.  He will inspire you to be just in all of your dealings, seek out sage Kings to assist you and share what you know with your community.

Artwork by Jim Lee.

Cyclops - King of Hearts

Cyclops as the Ace of Hearts/Cups

The King of Cups is the master of his emotional realm, seeing directly to the heart of the matter.  This King knows how to remain calm during stressful times.  He is also patient during a crisis and his stoic demeanor protects a depth of intensity.  He can be roused to great passion when what he loves is threatened.   This watery aspect of Cyclops is diplomatic and knows exactly what word or action is required to diffuse a situation.  Cyclops is arguably the X-Man with the most emotional investment in protecting mutants due to the length of his involvement in the X-Men cause.  His feelings run deep and like Poseidon–the King of the Ocean–he is both intense and expressive.  He will assist you in creating the boundaries of your heartspace.

Artwork by Jim Lee.

Cyclops - King of Diamonds

Cyclops as the Ace of Diamonds/Pentacles/Disks/Coins/Worlds

Cyclops is a reliable leader.  Like the King of Pentacles, his people depend on him for support.  His earthy nature is steady, stable and adept.  His primary goals are tradition (Professor X’s dream), conscience (his belief in right and wrong), and security (the safety of his people).  Some find this King too conservative, but others find his practical approaches to be comforting and inspiring.  This King will bring dependable counsel or financial assistance, lead you to like-minded peopled and strengthen your own convictions about your potential.

Artwork by Jim Lee.

Depending on the layout and what other cards are present, oftentimes the energy of the Emperor is apparent when Cyclops appears in a reading.  The Emperor represents the discipline and leadership of the benevolent patriarch.  He is the divine father, creating order out of chaos, exercising authority, and regulating laws.  The Emperor depicts the power and mastery of strength without the shadow play of ego.  He teaches us growth through enlightenment and to place the good of all above our own.

Thank you for reading about my X-Men Tarot process!  If you would like an X-Men Tarot reading (or a traditional Tarot reading), please contact me to make an appointment!

6 Responses to Heroic Tarot Tuesday: Cyclops

1. [...] interpretations and how they relate to traditional tarot definitions.  Thus far we have showcased Cyclops, Professor X, Storm and  Jean Grey.  I recommend you check out my “All Hands On Deck” post [...]

2. [...] with how they relate to traditional tarot definitions. Thus far we have showcased Wolverine, Cyclops, Professor X, Storm and  Jean Grey.  I recommend you check out my “All Hands On Deck” [...]

3. [...] how they relate to traditional tarot definitions. Thus far we have showcased Jubilee,  Wolverine, Cyclops, Professor X, Storm and  Jean Grey.  I recommend you check out my “All Hands On Deck” [...]

4. [...] relate to traditional tarot definitions. Thus far we have showcased Iceman, Jubilee,  Wolverine, Cyclops, Professor X, Storm and  Jean Grey.  I recommend you check out my “All Hands On Deck” [...]

5. [...] tarot definitions. Thus far we have showcased Archangel, Rogue, Iceman, Jubilee,  Wolverine, Cyclops, Professor X, Storm and  Jean Grey.  I recommend you check out my “All Hands On Deck” [...]

6. [...]  We all have the power within us to manifest change for the better in our lives.  Just like the King of Rods/Wands above, we are all visionaries, working on empowering ourselves to approach any situation with [...]