Professor X by Jim Lee

Greetings, dear reader!  This post is the first in a series about my process regarding my X-Men Tarot.  Today we take a look at all of the cards featuring Professor X.

The X-Men playing card deck is adorned with images of Marvel’s Merry Mutants.  I have created a system combining traditional Minor Arcana meaning with my vast knowledge of X-Men comic book stories.  The archetypal roles the X-Men represent bring the energy of the missing Major Arcana to the overall calculation.  I reveal the superheroic tales relevant to your path.   This dual reading is amplified by the elemental nature of whatever suit is pulled in addition to the numeralogical/feudal court energy contained therein.

One of the interesting aspects of the X-Men cards that I use is that every character gets to be represented four times.  For example, Cyclops is all of the Kings, Wolverine is all of the Jacks, Jubilee is all of the Twos, etcetera.  Professor X is represented on the face of all of the Aces.  If we think about how Aces represent the beginning of an idea or situation, it is proper that Xavier, the founder of a school for mutants to successfully integrate with humans, is on each of these cards.  Also, Aces trump other cards and Xavier is the most powerful telepath on the planet.  With his mutant detecting computer system Cerebro amplifying his powers, there is no where to hide from his powerful mind.  In fact, his onetime friend and oftentimes enemy, Magneto had to create a special helmet to protect himself from Charles Xavier’s mental prowess.

Aces also represent renewal and the Professor has a history of starting over many times.  His school has been blown up countless times and yet he rebuilds.  Many times he has regained his ability to walk and then lost it again.  It is interesting to think that a character in a fantasy universe, who lives in a world of cybernetic limbs, nanotech and clones, has to remain paralyzed.   But every time Professor X found a way to overcome his mobility challenge (even moving his consciousness into a cloned body), something has happened to return him to his wheelchair.  Perhaps the idea of the world’s most powerful mind combined with a physical handicap is too strong a metaphor to leave alone.  Marvel certainly has gone back to this well many times.

Note:  I will be referring to each card by their traditional tarot names, although I will provide the equivalent playing card terms under each image.

Above artwork by Jim Lee.

Professor X - Ace of Clubs

Professor X as the Ace of Clubs/Wands/Rods

Professor X has a dream.  He believes that mutants and humans can live together in harmony.  To that end he created the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning.  (previously the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters).  It’s crest contains the words “Mutatis Mutandis,” which means “by changing those things which need to be changed” or more simply “the necessary changes having been made”.  Professor X is a visionary whose desire for peace is of the highest aspiration.  This fiery, passionate side of Charles Xavier is found in the Ace of Wands.  On this card, Professor X is dressed in his best suit as if at any moment he may have to meet with the parents of a prospective student.  This is Professor Xavier the teacher, the school founder and the flip side of being Professor X the X-Men team leader.  This is using one’s tremendous creative force to find a better solution.  This is courage, willpower and purpose electrified.  This is Xavier teaching us confidence in our own (mutant) abilities.  This is a comet streaking across the sky adding its power to our own.

Artwork by Jim Lee.

Professor X - Ace of Spades

Professor X as the Ace of Spades/Swords

Professor Xavier is the most powerful mind reader on the planet.  In his Ace of Swords aspect, this ability is highlighted and magnified as the suit of Swords specifically speaks to the intellect.  This card represents the clarity one can have when one knows and speaks one’s truth.  It is important, however, to honor and accept another’s truth as well.  Intelligence, reason, perseverance are all hallmarks of this amazing card.  Xavier has rolled up his sleeves and is not afraid to champion his cause.  His mental energy (symbolized by the pink energy around his head) is high and he is objective, logical and analytical.  This card can teach us to obtain the facts and apply them to our path.

Artwork by Jim Lee.

Professor X - Ace of Hearts

Professor X as the Ace of Hearts/Cups

Professor X is dressed in fatigues and seems like he is trying to see far ahead.  Why would the world’s most powerful mind squint into the future?  It is because he is feeling with his heart and not thinking with his mind.  This is why he balls his right hand into a fist for grounding and pulls in energy with the left.  He is a ballast of emotional force adrift in the watery reservoir that is the Ace of Cups.  At times, love is a difficult emotion to navigate, especially when we think of ourselves as logical and analytical.  However, if one proceeds with honesty and affection, our intention leads us to intimacy.  Such is the power of the Ace of Cups and the gift of a benevolent father figure like Professor X.  Forgiveness is a trait of this card as well and may be why Charles has extended X-Men membership to Rogue, Wolverine,  Emma Frost and even Sabretooth and Mystique over the years.

Artwork by Larry Stroman.

Professor X - Ace of Diamonds

Professor X as the Ace of Diamonds/Pentacles/Disks/Coins/Worlds

You can bank on the Ace of Pentacles!  Seriously, you ever wonder how Professor X always has the resources to rebuild the X-Mansion every time it is destroyed by the recent villain of the month?  The energy of this earthy Ace opens us up to abundance.  We receive the energy we require to affect our material world.  Proceeding with trust and using our practical skills we tend our to our goals like plants in a well-tended garden and the universe rewards us.  Gifts of advice and/or money come our way and we find a general sense of well-being and security born of our creating a stable support base.  This image of Xavier shows him leaning forward, eager to find the information in his mind to pinpoint exactly what he wants to affect.  The energy around his mind is  palpable.  He is present, grounded and secure in his position of authority and power.  He knows that this momentary gain is but a step on his journey which must include gain and loss.

Artwork by Jim Lee.

All Aces are brief moments of intense energy that must be utilized before they dissipate.  They are seeds for us to plant towards our goals and ambitions, aspirations and desires.  They are a new beginning.

Depending on the layout and what other cards are present, oftentimes the energy of the Magician is apparent when Professor X appears in a reading.  The Magician represents the idea of creation.  He gathers the tools (elements) for manifesting magic.  He possesses the ability to focus on manifestation and he is secure in his own power.  His consciousness is more aware and attuned with a higher vibration.  He, like Professor X, knows how to utilize our resources to transform the mundane into the extraordinary.

Thanks for reading about my X-Men Tarot process!  If you would like an X-Men Tarot reading (or a traditional Tarot reading), please contact me to make an appointment!