An Emma Frost Update
by Ken Kneisel

november1

One more for the triple threat, gentle reader! Marvel’s solicitations for items scheduled to ship this November were released yesterday, including one surprising and fairly significant Emma Frost related development that I am excited to share with you. Emma will guest star in Young Allies #6 for a confrontation with her former student Angelica Jones, also known as Firestar! The issue is described thus:

“Emma Frost guest stars! Just as the Young Allies have found themselves thrust together, the Uncanny X-Men’s devious Emma Frost threatens to pull them apart! Are her plans for former pupil Firestar sincere…or sincerely evil?”

Judging from the cover illustration by Takeshi Miyazawa, Emma exudes her trademark haughty and self-satisfied attitude as always, but Firestar doesn’t look too terribly excited to see Emma again. It’s been quite a while since their last encounter in Generation X #59, just over ten years our time while a significant amount of time has passed in the Marvel Universe as well. When last they met, Firestar was a member of the Avengers and Emma was still headmistress of her Massachusetts Academy which she had reopened under the auspices of Professor X. Back then, Firestar reluctantly accepted Emma’s remarkable transformation from villain to hero based solely on the fact that Professor X vouched for her and had entrusted her with a new crop of mutant students. But Angelica swore that she would keep an eye on Emma just in case she returned to her evil roots. These days, Firestar is running with the Young Allies and Emma is co-leader of the X-Men and self-appointed spokesperson for the entire mutant race along with her boyfriend Cyclops.

Based on recent events, I can only imagine that Emma might approach Firestar with an offer to join her fellow mutants on Utopia, the X-Men’s island sanctuary just off the coast of San Francisco. Just as I imagine that Firestar might refuse and will most likely have a few choice words for Emma as well, possibly regarding unresolved issues from Emma’s past as a villain when she attempted to brainwash young Angelica into becoming her personal assassin and bodyguard. Or perhaps not. Either way, I am eagerly anticipating this reunion and look forward to discovering the status of Emma and Angelica’s relationship in the current state of affairs.

Incidentally, stormantic favorite Art Adams provides a hot and bubbly variant cover image of Firestar for this issue.

november2

He also drew eye-catching variant cover portraits of Magik and Captain America too.

november3

Who is that masked girl behind Spider-Man? No, it’s not Stature of the Young Avengers, much as she might resemble her. Apparently she is Emma Frost, although not the same Emma you or I might be familiar with. This Emma is not an X-Man or White Queen but resides in the Marvel Adventures Universe in her costumed identity as the Silencer. I’ve never read Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, but apparently she is close friends with Spider-Man’s girlfriend Sophia Sandoval and used her telepathic powers to discover Spider-Man’s secret identity while attempting to come between him and Sophia. Although unlike our Emma’s successful courtship of Cyclops, this Emma wound up arrested for her trouble. But it looks like she is back.

november4

Now here is the Emma Frost we are all familiar with, at Cyclops’s side and surrounded by all her fellow X-Men teammates. This is the only other cover on which Emma appears this month, and I actually really like this team shot. Mainly because it really feels like a cohesive team where each member has their own individual role to play, and not just a random assemblage of every vaguely mutant-related character you could imagine.

Well anyway, that’s all for the extras and updates today, gentle reader. I mainly just wanted to let you know about that upcoming interaction between Emma and Firestar and how excited I am to read it. I will meet you here again next week with more to discuss on the subject of Miss Emma Frost.