Storm Arcana

Heroic Tarot & Arcana Academy

White Queen Wednesday: Alice Eve

An Emma Frost Salon
by Ken Kneisel

alice1

Good evening, gentle reader. I was just putting this week’s White Queen Wednesday to bed when STORM phoned me with some urgent late breaking news. According to The Hollywood Reporter’s Heat Vision blog, actress Alice Eve is set to play Emma Frost in the upcoming X-Men: First Class film.

95654070DT001_Maxim_Celebra

This is intriguing news, considering the movie is supposed to explore the early years of the X-Men as the name implies. So far we know that James McAvoy will play Professor Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender will play Magneto. I’m very curious if Emma will be portrayed as a villainous rival of Professor X or if she will be among his original crop of mutant students. Either way, it should certainly be interesting to find out.

alice3

I think Alice Eve definitely looks the part. Give her some platinum blonde hair and white lingerie and she would make a great Emma. Plus she’s British and should thus have no trouble with Emma’s affected English accent.

alice4

I like the little description of Emma in that article too.

“In comics lore, Frost was originally a villain called the White Queen who eventually became a member of X-Men, then a teacher at Xavier’s School of Gifted Students. She has telepathic powers and as the White Queen wore scantily clad costumes.”

Hopefully this Hollywood depiction of Emma will remain true to her scantily clad roots.

By the way, I also wanted to apologize to regular readers of White Queen Wednesday for my absence last week. As STORM explained, we here in the San Francisco Bay Area were a little preoccupied with Gay Pride. To make up for my radio silence, please accept this blissful sun-dappled photograph of myself with STORM, James “The Comic Pimp” Sime of San Francisco’s world-renowned Isotope Comic Book Lounge, Yabette from Swankety Swank and STORM’s pals Mindancer and Sister Kali all hanging out at the Faerie Freedom Village where we spent Sunday afternoon feeling the love.

pride

Well gentle reader, how do you feel about this Emma Frost casting? Do you think Alice Eve has what it takes to fill Emma’s stilettos?

Previous

Happy Gay Pride!

Next

Storm Sunday: Jubilee

3 Comments

1. Ingonyama

The most important parts of Emma’s character, to me, are her Machiavellian intelligence and cool ruthlessness. And her protectiveness of children, but that’s probably not going to get gotten into here.

I’d like it if we could see her be shrewd, and calculating, and clever. Too few blonde actresses with that kind of figure are allowed to be smart in their roles.

2. PH

I am intrigued about the news of Emma Frost….

3. Hmn…I’m completely unfamiliar with Alice Eve, so I can only hope for the best. I know she looks nothing like Emma, but I could see Claudia Black from Farscape doing a good job pulling off her character.