Storm Arcana

Heroic Tarot & Arcana Academy

White Queen Wednesday: Firestarter

An Emma Frost Salon
by Ken Kneisel

firestar1

Welcome back, gentle reader, to White Queen Wednesday. This week we turn our attention to Angelica Jones AKA Firestar. I bet you thought I was talking about Phoenix when I mentioned a fiery redhead last week! Well Jean Grey is not the only fiery redhead that Emma has crossed. I’ve been especially looking forward to this installment, since Emma’s interaction with Firestar produced her single most despicable act of villainy if you ask me. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

firestar2
Most people are probably aware of Firestar from the popular early 80s cartoon Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends. That was actually her first appearance, before she ever showed up in any comics. When she did appear in the comics, she was immediately recruited by the White Queen to attend her Massachusetts Academy and train with her Hellions. This was Emma at perhaps her most wicked, the cruel caricature of a storybook evil queen, tormenting young Angelica and mindblasting her Hellions over the slightest perceived offense. However, Emma had particular plans for Firestar. She instructed Angelica privately and attempted to brainwash her into becoming Emma’s personal bodyguard with designs on killing Emma’s rival Selene AKA the Black Queen of the Hellfire Club. To this end, she committed that most vile and reprehensible act I mentioned earlier. There’s no easy way to say this so instead I will simply show you.

firestar3

That’s right. In order to manipulate Firestar into becoming a cold-blooded killer, Emma telepathically murdered the young girl’s beloved pony Butter Rum and caused Angelica to believe that she had killed the horse herself with her burgeoning microwave powers. There is no possible way for me to justify or excuse this depraved act of villainy so I will not attempt to do so. However, I will highly recommend the Firestar miniseries which has been collected into a convenient digest format. This is required reading if you would like a good long look at what Emma was like during her days as the evil White Queen of the Hellfire Club or if you are at all interested in her Hellions.

Much later, after Angelica had long since left the Massachusetts Academy and the Hellions and joined up with a team of teenage heroes the New Warriors, Emma and her Hellions confronted the new team to retrieve Firestar. Of course, Angelica chose to stay with her friends in the New Warriors over the Hellions. Emma swore that one day Angelica would return to her school. But that day never came.

The next time Emma encountered Firestar was in the pages of Generation X. This was after Emma had reformed and allied herself with Professor Xavier, transforming her Massachusetts Academy into a subsidiary of his school, but before she officially joined the X-Men. Two of Emma’s young students were running loose in New York City and eventually found their way to Avengers Mansion where Emma was called to come pick them up. That was when she ran into Firestar who was a member of the Avengers at this point.

firestar4

firestar5

Firestar seemed startled by Emma’s shocking reformation but they talked it out and eventually came to terms. Angelica said that if Professor Xavier trusted Emma enough to put her in charge of his students then she would also give Emma the benefit of the doubt. But Firestar also swore that she would bring the Avengers down on Emma if she ever heard of her messing with another child’s head again. But that day also never came to pass and this would seem to be the extent of Emma’s interactions with Firestar as far as I’m aware.

Well thank you once again for joining me this White Queen Wednesday, gentle reader. I’m not fully sure exactly what I’ll be discussing next week, but after all this talk of telepathic horse murder I should think I would like to talk about something a little lighter instead.

Previous

Storm Sunday: Darwyn Cooke

Next

Storm Sunday: Colleen Doran

7 Comments

1. Seeing Nova on the cover of New Warriors made me somewhat nostalgic. Anyways, thank you for the insightful illustration of the relation between Emma and Angel. I’ll make sure to pick up Firestar #1 tomorrow 🙂

2. Ken Kneisel

My pleasure, argileye! Thank you for reading it! I’m not sure if Firestar #1 mentions Emma but I look forward to checking it out for myself to find out!

3. Wow…I never knew about Emma’s original interaction with/manipulation of Firestar. Yup, horse-killing does a pretty good job of showing just how heartless she could be!

As for the current Firestar one-shot, no mention of Emma, but it’s an excellent issue! Definitely has me looking forward to more.

4. Ken Kneisel

Yeah cynjon, Emma did some really awful things as the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, but if you ask me that was the absolute worst. Telepathically murdering a young girl’s beloved pony and then causing her to believe that she killed the horse herself is pretty low!

I’ll take a look at that Firestar one-shot. I really enjoyed Marvel Divas so I am kind of curious to see where she goes from there.

5. Nice scans of mine! 🙂

But cool, I’ll have to keep an eye open for White Queen Wednesday. I’ve been so behind with comics lately.

6. Ken Kneisel

Hi, Aimee! Thanks so much for stopping by! Yes, I had originally planned to scan in my own images for White Queen Wednesday but that hasn’t quite happened just yet, so I’ve been googling them from various places. It just so happens that your site is an exquisite and unmatched source for Emma images. I do hope you enjoy reading White Queen Wednesday and would sincerely appreciate any future feedback from a fellow Emma superfan like you!

For anyone who doesn’t know, Aimee runs an excellent Emma Frost resource site called Emma Frost Files.

http://www.emmafrostfiles.com/

Definitely check it out if White Queen Wednesday whets your appetite for more Emma info! 🙂

7. Ken Kneisel

PS I especially adore the Random Quote feature on Emma Frost Files. Every time I refresh the page or click a link I’m once again reminded of yet another reason why I love Emma so much. 🙂